Soft Power — Photo Series
Amongst the many forces of power there is one to be called Soft Power, the art of persuasion. The simple strategy of this power is to make others want what you want through attraction rather than force – by use of structure, culture or ideologies.
Started as imaginary film-stills, (mis) interpreting and combining new stories, symbolic meanings and representations. Ideally to become a ‘one photo photo-series’.
Digital photography – C-Prints
80x120cm / 100×150 cm
Installation of variable dimensions.
· Sandberg Instituut Graduation, Show Who You Gonna Call? Former Filmmuseum Vondelpark, Amsterdam
· October 2012, Stem Terug! / Vote Back!, Festival over Kunst en Politiek, De Appel Arts Center, Amsterdam
· FADU Facultad de Arquitectura, Diseño y Urbanismo, Buenos Aires
· March 2013, Faena Arts Center Pangea collective exhibition, Buenos Aires
· Sandberg Instituut Graduation Show, Overhoekse Toren, Amsterdam
STEM TERUG! VOTE BACK! program
WEEK II, 16 / 21 October: «COME WITH US…»
Curated by Donna Verheijden & Martina Petrelli
Sandberg Instituut Amsterdam Design Department, 4 weeks in De Appel Arts Centre.
Daily Public Program 16 oct–21 nov, 2–5 pm. See: http://sandberg.nl/voteback/
· MASTER CLASS BY FOUNDLAND
Tuesday, 16 October, 2–5 pm.Special class by Lauren Alexander and Ghalia Elsrakbi (two alumni students from the Sandberg, who collaborate under the name Foundland) will talk about their latest research project related to cartoon protest imagery in the context of the Syrian Revolution.
· MASTER CLASS BY ROB SCHRÖDER
Wednesday, 17 October, 2–5 pm.
The graphic designer and filmmaker Rob Schröder will focus on the personal positions of designers and how they relate to political developments. During his second class students will present their work, leading to new discussions.
· MASTER CLASS BY DANIEL VAN DER VELDEN
“The Future of Soft Power depends on a Handful of Pixels”
Thursday, 18, October, 2–5 pm.
Daniel van der Velden, graphic designer, writer, and co-founder of Metahaven, will focus together with students and audience on the relation between graphic design, political activism, and the internet.
· MASTER CLASS BY MASTER STUDENTS
MARTINA PETRELLI & DONNA VERHEIJDEN
Special guest: Malkit Shoshan
Friday, 19 October, 2–5 pm
For every week, two master’s students have formulated a sub-theme. Based on this theme, the students will give their own lesson every Friday. The student curators Martina Petrelli and Donna Verheijden will take you on a journey through the labyrinth of seduction and examine the use of “Soft Power” in the Arabic Landscape through a presentation of Malkit Shoshan’s work and specific examples.
(Malkit Shoshan – Israeli architect, Shoshan is the founder and director of the Amsterdam based architectural think tank FAST, the Foundation for Achieving Seamless Territory).
De Appel Arena will be “customized” for this event by Martina Petrelli, Donna Verheijden, Giada Fiorindi, Anja Kaiser and Tessel Brühl.
· COME WITH US… OPEN DEBATE ON THE NOTION OF ‘SOFT POWER’
Saturday 20, October, 2–5 pm with:
– Parliament of Refugees M2M Foundation, Migrant to Migrant (Jo van der Spek and Diana Krabbedam)
– Calciocracy: Soft power, Football and Politics in Italy and Qatar. (Fabrizio de Rosa)
– Sharing Knowledge (Marieke de Vogel and Bob Verheijden)
· FILM PROGRAM
Sunday, 21 October 2–5 p.m
A special film program is selected by the student-curators the basis of their sub-theme.
– In the Loop (2009) A foul-mouthed comedy that draws on non-specific events to create a world that is terrifyingly familiar: The US President and UK Prime Minister fancy a war, but not everyone agrees that war is a good thing.
– South Park (selected episodes). “Morality of the Story” by Stan, Kyle, Eric and Kenny.